Thursday, January 12, 2012

Let him choose

Otter loves to be in control.  I love to offer easy and healthy options.  So, I create (or buy) healthy snack options and portion them out for Otter and toss them in a container.  When Otter wants a snack, we let him choose the snack from the bin.  He loves that HE gets to choose what he wants to snack on. I love that, really, I'm in control.  We offer things like vanilla wafers, graham crackers, peanut butter crackers, and granola bars. These are his snacks and not his meals.  His fruits and veggies come from the meals.  But this also encourages vocabulary.  I will get down to his level and say "Choose 1 *holding up 1 finger* snack." Let him choose.  As his hands glide over all of his options I will say the name of what he's considering.  Then when he chooses, I say, "Oh, you've chosen vanilla wafers!  Those are yummy."

The down side to this, is many shelf stable and easily ready snacks really aren't that healthy (I'm talking sugar).  I wish that I could have cut up grapes or apples ready, but in reality those are best prepared right before being consumed. I am still researching (and open to suggestions) of better options.  I don't want him to never have sweets.  Because consuming them in moderation will help him make better choices growing up, since he won't ever feel deprived of them. But I'd like to have healthier sweet options. 

However, at his age, he's crazy full of energy (when he's not sick) and runs around everywhere.  He's recently been enrolled in a gymnastics-like class and has chosen the rings as his favorite. We may have found his calling, even at his tender age. I hope that he continues to find things that he loves and that we are able to support him in his passions.  The sad truth is, I know nothing about gymnastics or rings, so I don't know how to encourage it other than to offer it as an option and try to learn as much during his class that I can.

Well, that's all for now. What new memories have you made recently?

4 comments:

  1. Aw, I love you guys :)

    Maybe raisins? Or banana chips? Or other dry-fruit kind of things? Because those are a little sweet, but in the healthy way. I think. Are banana chips healthy?

    ...I don't know what I'm talking about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Amanda Kay...what great ideas! I don't care if banana chips are healthy, they are delish. I'll have to see how Otter does with them they may be a little too crunchy without all of the molars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. C likes freeze dried strawberries from Archer Farms (sold at Target).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can they chew raisins at this age? I thought they might be a little chewy...but if they can, then I'd get some raisins...I hate them, but maybe he'd like them.

    I try to teach Brady counting & colors. He can count to 3 on a REALLY good day. If you say "one," he will shout out TWO!!!!!

    Also, when we were at my parents this past weekend, we kept trying to get him to say 'turtle.' He says it at home and he was saying it in the car. Well, he would NOT say it. So, we put him to bed and when he woke up in the morning, he stood up in his pack 'n play and says, "Turtle?" LOL! We laughed and he kept saying it. Then when we went downstairs, you think he'd say it? NOPE! LOL!

    ReplyDelete