Tuesday, January 8, 2013

FOMO

It's really nice to have a weekend of doing nothing. Really, really nice. We celebrated Doc's birthday but other than that we had no obligations or commitments. Otter and I ran some errands on Saturday and then we came home and took down all of the Christmas decorations. I even decided I wanted to watch a movie that I have wanted to watch. So, I rented Trouble with the Curve. I enjoyed it. Mainly because I was in my pajamas in my own bed with Otter surrounded by air popped popcorn, banana chips, gold fish, pistachios, and diet coke. But, in all seriousness, it was yet another feel good movie. I love Amy Adams and won't turn down Justin Timberlake, either.

On Sunday, Doc headed into work for a little bit and Otter and I just hung out at home. We watched a few too many movies and built our first snow man that Otter named "Me". As twilight approached, Otter started to become concerned about "Me" asking if he was okay and if he would go to sleep. What a sweet boy.
















Although I love spending time with my boy, I can't leave the room with out him freaking out. It doesn't always seem like he is screaming for me, but rather because he is being "left out". This kid is definitely my kid. Like me, he seems to have a mild case of FOMO (fear of missing out). I have never been a particularly popular person, especially in high school, but I always need to know what is going on. Not because I am necessarily nosey but because I don't want to miss out on something. My mom and step-dad even affectionately called me "Radar" for a while. I just want to be included in everything. Perhaps this is because I wasn't popular or maybe it is because I had two older step-sisters who were close to me in age but old enough to do things I couldn't, at the same time. It doesn't matter why, but I have this personality trait that makes me want to know and be involved. As I have gotten older I have learned to manage this feeling but I am not always successful. I really hope Otter doesn't grow up feeling this way. Hopefully some of his father's characteristics rub off ans his is the perfect mix of social and antisocial.  I make sure that when it is appropriate to include him he is included.  I also explain to him when he's not included why and what he can do instead. For example when the neighbors are outside playing with their guests, Otter wants to go over.  I explain that they are playing with their friends right now and that he hasn't been asked to come over.  He's not allowed to invite himself, but instead, we can go do ______ together. I hope it works. With all of the technology we currently have and the technology his generation will likely have they will be connected all of the time and the FOMO will only intesify. We don't need a million Scott Disicks running around.

2 comments:

  1. Brady is the SAME way. He's become incredibly attached to me while I've been on maternity leave. Even though he goes to daycare, he still wants ME all the time. He constantly asks, "Where going, mommy?" "What doing, mommy?" Or if I'm on the phone..."Who's that, mommy?" He wants to go play with the neighbor boys (usually basketball or baseball), but they're much older than he is, so obviously it's not gonna happen. Totally get where you're coming from.

    This goes into his not-falling-asleep business, too. He's HORRIBLE at going to bed/naptime at home. I tell him that he won't miss anything, but he needs to be up. He won't go to bed til I do...and Maddie...and even then he asks, "Where's Maddie, mommy?" UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there, Jess. I can't imagine how tough it is now that there is two! I love hanging out with him, but there comes a point where I need a moment to myself and not just when I'm sleeping.

    ReplyDelete