Monday, January 21, 2013

Mommy, WOW! I'm a big kid now.

Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day!!  I'm home with Otter today since his daycare is closed.  It's nice.  I love being home with him. Which got me thinking back to this summer when I was home for three months looking for a job. I was miserable.  A combination of feeling unworthy of any job and feeling like I wasn't contributing to the family as I should make it a really, really long three months. I am able to work, so why wouldn't I work?- That is rhetorical, I don't really need or want to hear why I should be staying home. But, now, there are days where I just want to be home and I love being home when I get the chance.  I wish I could find a perfect medium.  Maybe where I could work from home 2-3 days a week and at the office the other days.  It's the going to work that makes me realize that I love both and would like a better balance.  I'm not sure if I'll ever find a job that will let me do both.  Definitely not during Otter's toddler days.  However, he is learning so much at daycare and the socialization is doing really well. 

Speaking of learning things, Otter is pretty much potty trained.  Except number two...if you know what I mean. It all started when he saw some other kids at daycare using the potty and being able to join the potty parade. Then, I picked him up one day and he was covered in stickers for each time he used the potty.  He was still wearing diapers at that time. After a few days of that and having no luck getting him to use the potty at home, his teacher and I decided to start sending him in underwear.  He had a few days of accidents and then all of the sudden no accidents all.  But he was still having troubles at home.  Mainly because we'd get home in the evenings and I'd start cooking dinner and he'd start chugging milk/water and playing and doing his chores.  We'd all get side-tracked because this was new to us all.  But after a few days he stopped having accidents in the evening.  So, he only wears diapers to bed at night and for naps.  We are still working on "poopies".  But I am dang proud.  It wasn't and painful or drawn out as I had fears.  Seriously, I was dreading it and putting it off.  But, it is, yet, another reminder that my little guy isn't so "little" anymore.

For anyone who is about to undertake the potty training adventure, I found that stickers are a greats (and cheap) motivator/reward. Also, for the days that we are completely accident free, he is able to pick a reward out of the reward basket.  It is filled with goodies from the Dollar Spot from Target!  Take your little guy or gal to the potty every 20-30 minutes whether they thing they have to go or not. We use the potty seats that fit right onto the actual toilet. A step-stool is good for those "I can do it!" kiddos. And not to mention, the though of cleaning a portable potty seat makes me want to puke.  Isn't that why I am transitioning away from diapers?

Do you have successful potty training tips you'd like to share? Questions or difficulties? Share them!

2 comments:

  1. Brady regressed on his potty training when Maddie came along. It's really frustrating, but we figure when he's ready, he's ready. I'm SO jealous of the potty trained kids!

    I am kicking myself for not working on it more when I was on maternity leave:(

    Congrats to him, though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't kick yourself. Potty Trained children are a huge battle in and of themselves. Sure, I don't have diapers (except for at bed and naps) but I have rushed outings, tons of laundry, carpet cleaner, and frustration. No one bothers to tell you this when you are excitedly potty training your child.

    ReplyDelete