Wednesday, February 20, 2013

I'm a better mom than you...

I’m a better mom than you.

Don’t like someone bluntly saying that? Then stop implying it all of the damn time.  No, I don’t think that I am a better mom than anyone.  I am the best mom possible to my Otter. But it doesn’t mean that I am a better mom than any other mom out there.
One of my BIGGEST pet peeves and mom gripes is all of these moms out there on social media or out and about in the real world making snarky comments and passing judgmental stares.  Parenting is hard enough as it is.  We don’t need to make it a competition.  I hate the car seat issue. YES, please follow the APA suggestions and restrain your child as appropriate.  But squirmy children are hard to restrain and even harder as they grow older and their little fingers can figure out their buckles. Parents shouldn’t be afraid to post photos of their sleeping beauties in their car seats for fear of the Car Seat Nazis calling them out publicly and making them feel incompetent. Recently on my Facebook feed I saw a status generally stating car seat rules and ending it with “It’s not that hard.”  F*ck you.  It IS hard.  Parenting is hard work.  Have you ever made a mistake? Have you ever forgotten to check something before moving on to the next task on your never ending to-do list? GET OVER YOURSELF!!!  We care about our kids and their safety and we don’t purposely put them in their car seat incorrectly.  How about a PM explaining your concern and offering to help if there are still questions?
Oh, and how about this Attachment Parenting? I get it.  In many aspects, I am an “attached” parent. But I have also heard “Gentle” parenting used.  What, those parents who don’t follow your parenting guidelines are aggressive, mean, or detached parents? My son didn’t sleep through the night until he was over 1 year old.  He cried it out of 2 nights and has slept amazingly since.  Don’t judge.  It worked for us. And guess what?!  He’s happy and healthy and doesn’t think I’m the worst parent in the world.  I know, you are mind blown. My parenting comes from what feels natural and right to me not because I want to fit a mold.
I could go on and on.  Breastfeeding vs formula feeding, vaccinating.  It’s not a competition.  I don’t lose points or the “game” if I wasn’t able to or decided not to breastfeed.  It’s what works for us- YOU and YOUR family.  Stay out of mine unless all you have is love and support.  I’m incredibly tired of talking to other mothers to find that they’ve been beaten down based on their decisions for parenting.  It’s not fair to anyone and it definitely doesn’t set a good example for your children.  So, think about offering support instead of judgment next time.
/End Rant/

No comments:

Post a Comment