Thursday, February 28, 2013

Poli-ticking me off

I must be full of rants because here comes another one!  I am so sick of politics.  Like so sick of it that I am unfriending people over it. During the election I let it slide because “’tis the season.” But for people to still be wallowing in hate is disdain over the outcome of the election is completely unhealthy if you ask me, the non-professional.
News Flash: the election is over.  Your stupid, often, misinformed (and biased) memes and literature cannot change the election nor is it going to persuade anyone to change their mind for next election.  If you aren’t up-to-date on presidential election rules, he can’t go more than two terms. So, we have fresh blood coming up in 2016. And, not surprisingly, your all consuming distaste for the opposite party will surface again. Rinse and repeat every four years.  Does it feel good to carry such heavy opinions all of the time?
Please, don’t read this and assume I am a democrat or that I agree with everything President Obama is trying to implement. But I am open-minded, courteous, and respectful enough to share my opinions with only those interested in what I have to say, and I think I am pretty damn good and keeping it civil.  And, I am, by no means, a political genius nor do I want to be.  Frankly, politics are not something I enjoy at all. Which is why I am tired of seeing them everywhere.  According to some people, tripping over your own feet is somehow the fault of the despised politician somewhere. It’s time to take some personal responsibility.
It seems we’ve become lazy and are hastily passing the buck instead of claiming responsibility for our situations. I’m not trying to say that no one is immune to the effects of the economic down turn, but there are many, many people who just don’t want to accept that there is something they can do for themselves and want someone else to fix their problems. It’s time to get up, accept the situation, and do something positive. As Charles Swindoll said, “Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.”  Are your current reactions the flavor you want your life to be?
And honestly, I’m going to break this down to a more familiar level. Is the way you are reacting to the election setting a good example for your children? Do they hear, see, or join you in your jeering of our top public official?  What if they decided to react the same way to you when you tried to implement new rules, budgets, and etc?  We, as a country, elected him to office because the majority (Electoral College) of us felt he was able to run our country. What if 1 of your 3 children resisted, heckled, and deliberately disregarded the decisions that you are making on their behalf, trying to take their best interests at heart.  All we can ask is that he do the best job he is able.  Would you want to do his job?  I wouldn’t.
So, just stop. Move on. I'd rather hear you complain about the weather. Complaining isn't fixing anything, it's just making it worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment